January 27, 2008

Making babies?

I knew I always wanted to be a mom. And not only that, but I knew that I wanted to experience pregnancy and childbirth. It was a part of me and I knew that early on.

So, after getting married and buying a house my hubby and I decided to was time to give it a go. I came off the pill and started taking my temperature and counting the days of my cycle. Several months went by and nothing had happened. I wasn't too discouraged as I knew it could take people up to a year to get pregnant.

Then my periods got farther and farther apart. Then they stopped. I figured it was normal to miss a period once in a while so I waited. Three months in a row and I decided to call my OB/GYN. She didn't seem too concerned but ordered a few tests to see what the story was.

We found out...nothing. She couldn't give me a reason for why my periods stopped, but we all knew that if I wasn't having a period then I wasn't ovulating and it's pretty hard to get knocked up when you're not ovulating. Next stop -- fertility clinic.

Provera to get a period. Clomid to stimulate ovulation. Cancelled cycle and a diagnosis -- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. After researching on the web (which is where we should all get our medical information), I realized that I had so many of the symptoms of PCOS. I also realized that Clomid does not always work, there is a higher miscarriage rate, etc.

I tried to take Metformin (for insulin resistance) and Clomid together but that was a disaster. The Metformin made me so sick and I almost had an amazingly embarrassing gastro-intestinal "episode" at a very good friend's wedding. Off the Metformin, but continue with Clomid and IUI.

4 Clomid cycles and 3 IUIs later, I was still not pregnant. Then came Follistim -- shots. One round with an IUI produced nothing. But round two...