February 5, 2008

Positive!

I went to the fertility clinic that Monday morning to get my blood drawn for a pregnancy test. I had no hopes for this and it made me laugh a little. They took my blood, said they would call me in the afternoon and sent me on my way. I drove to work and barely thought about it.

I told some of my good friends at my job, many of whom had been through all of this fertility stuff before, about the weekend and the drama and the blood test. Then I went about my business.

A little after noon my phone rang. It was them and it was positive. Huh? I made them say it again. It was positive, although the HCG level was a little on the low side (I believe they look for at least 50 at 2 weeks post IUI and mine was a little over 40). They told me to come back in a few days to repeat and scheduled an appointment for an ultrasound right around 6 weeks.

I hung up the phone. My mouth was agape. I was stunned. I had conviced myself that it hadn't worked this time and I would be going through yet one more IUI before we moved onto IVF -- which I was sure I would have to do.

I called my husband at work and my mom at home and rushed downstairs to tell my close friends who had been on this journey with me and knew more about my uterus and follicles than anyone should know ever! Seriously, they could practically draw you a picture of my lady parts!

I was in a fog for days. My second blood test came back and my numbers had gone up. I was pregnant!